Friday 12 April 2013

Perfume we hate but love


Fleur Poudree de Musc Les Nereides for womenFleur Poudree de Musc Les Nereides for women

My very good friend visited last year and he brought with him a "beautiful new release from a niche perfume house" at least that was what the sales attendant told him.
 I was thrilled. Being a perfume lover for me means the few seconds before you open a bottle of a new perfume, especially one you haven't had the chance to read a review on,is the most sensational, it feels like you are about to be serenaded with an offering; like smoke sent up to the gods of ancient times. Aye, as I pulled off the gold cap on the square shoulder bottle, stretched out my arm so I could see my wrist, sprayed and poised my nose to inhale, exhale, relax and breathe ahhhhh(sigh) like one would after the first sip of cool water on a hot dry day.

 I couldn't believe my nose ! or was it my brain.  My body stiffened and my nose cringed as the scent  hit my olfactory palettes. Fleur poudree de musc opens with a smell I can only describe as faecal. I put it down instantly but declined my husband's offer to throw it in the bin. "that is the most disgusting thing I have ever smelt in my life!" he said as I put my wrist to his nose.

I decided to keep it. I was fascinated by the boldness of the perfumer and all the many people who would wear this proudly as their signature scent. I wanted to take it with me on my perfume journey so I kept it in the drawer. Once in a while I would spray it again, hoping my reaction was exaggerated the first time, it would be different.  It was the same. Recently, my perfume voyage got me looking into the world of skin scents, animalic and musky scents and  the light of knowledge illuminated the beauty that this strange perfume could offer.

 I sprayed it one more time and decided to wear it all day even if it meant not hugging anyone.  I wanted to get to the bottom (the dry down)of this perfume. My very supportive husband wished me a sarcastic good luck and shrunk when I tried to hug him. I put my nose to my wrist every ten minutes or so, waiting for the transformation.

Forty five minutes into sniffing myself like a dog, Fleur poudree de musc transforms into this soft powdery scent that is quite delicate yet strong with the muskiness that seems to hold it together. It doesn't transform into something magical that would gain a popular appeal especially with a very young person or someone who loves flowery and fruity perfumes but it does awaken some carnality within someone who gets it. I understood the spirit of the perfume then, it was human in our au naturelle state with no sweet flowery masks but it was still warm and pleasant, even sensual especially to a nose that gets it.


No comments:

Post a Comment