Friday 7 June 2013

Scented name and ghost



Elemi

I met someone recently (sort of met), he had one of those interesting names that make you ask questions like what does your name mean? I wanted to ask him so badly what it  meant but I didn't want him to read my curiosity as interest as he had already made a few statements I found very shallow and sexist so I kept my mouth shut and tuned myself into the universe of sweet, glorious scents.

 I was thinking about a perfume my uncle had given me many years ago, I can't remember the name but for days now, the scent seems to hunt me. I could still smell it after a long shower. I figured it was in my head, maybe I miss my uncle, maybe there's a perfume phantom out there and its come for me. I figured it was no use telling anyone about it, their reaction wouldn't be pleasant and someone might succeed in finally convincing me that I have an obsession for perfumes; a love is never as creepy as an obsession. I've always believed the relationship between perfume and I is pure love.

 The guy with the interesting name said something and touched my arm. "Next customer" Apparently the attendant had called the next customer"me" twice.  I walked to the attendant, leaving the s guy in the "next customer" spot.  I remembered I hadn't told him my name because he had done all the talking the whole six or so minutes he was behind me on the queue and I had only uttered two words; Elemi? which was my only response to: It's so hot outside, I would say it's as hot as you but you would wonder how I can tell you are hot seeing that I can only see your back but I am sure your face is just as hot as your back or maybe even hotter. My name is Elemi.

Elemi? My mind went to work, where had I heard or seen that before? O yes! during my compilation of perfume terms, I had discovered Elemi- the gum from canarium tree. I wanted to ask if he was named after the fragrant gum but like I said , he was  offensive and I didn't want to encourage him. Besides, it could have been a native name that had nothing to do with the fragrant gum.  I know what you're thinking; because I think in perfume, I hear in perfume and see in perfume. You could be right, you could be wrong. 

The only other thing I said was "Thanks" after he woke me from my trance to respond to the attendant.  I probably wouldn't have remembered him after that but for his name and the phantom smell that is yet to leave me.

I wonder, has anyone had that? A smell that just won't go away?



1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I have smells that won't go away.sometimes this particular smell comes to my head (I know it is my head cos I ask if other people can perceive too) and won't leave for days. Wish I could have it.

    ReplyDelete